Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

Staying in Business in a Competitive Market

After my stint as a Decorator Consultant at the Custom Decorating Department of Montgomery Ward in Daly City, California in 1989, when the management decided to phase out our department, it didn't take long for me to decide that this was the career I wanted to embark in for the rest of my life.    My previous job was a good training ground for running a business. My duties and responsibilities as the Executive Secretary/Administrative Assistant of Borden International, Inc. , a multinational, regional office in the Far East, which handled the distribution of the dairy milk products in Singapore, Malaysia, Hongkong, Bangladesh, Taiwan, South Korea, Philippines, Pakistan, Indonesia, and Thailand, was practically running the business when my boss, the Regional Manager, was out of the country.       I love arts and interior decorating/design, so I enrolled myself in a correspondence course in interior design, after which Window Coverings By Chris was born in June 1993.  

Are You Eating and Drinking Poison?

Never have I been more aware of what I put into my mouth to satisfy my cravings or hunger pangs.  I love good food period.  Good food that comes from my kitchen.  My relationship with good food dates back to when I was a young girl back in Manila, eagerly watching my mom cook and going with her to the wet market (farmer's market) to shop for fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh fishes (sometimes live) and other sea foods, depending on what we could find, fresh beef and pork, and live chickens. Lechon, Caldereta, Paksiw na Pata, Nilagang Baka, Morcon, Embutido, Callos, Sinigang na Baboy, Rellenong Manok, Pastel de Lengua, Dinuguan, and other high in saturated fats and artery clogging dishes that we enjoyed cooking and eating.  For desserts, I would bake cakes, breads, or make some delicious native delicacies like Leche Flan, Macapuno, Ube, all filled with refined white sugar (simple carbohydrates) and butter.  Lots and lots of them.  Our bagoong (salted shrimp fry), a delici

A Hole in the Wall

Without any window covering or treatment enhancing the role it plays in transforming the aesthetics of a room into one that soothes our appeal and personal comfort, a window is just a "hole in the wall". Nowadays, one can get lost and confused in choosing the right window coverings for their windows. The window coverings industry has evolved from the time when a simple curtain that hangs on a metal wire was functional, to a five-layered drapery treatments complete with cornices, lambrequins, sheers, shades, blinds, top treatments, jabots and cascades, etc. There's also the choice of using hard or soft window treatments or incorporating both in order to achieve a certain architectural charm and character. Some may even go for the minimalist look or the modern-day metal , wood, or faux wood blinds with decorative tapes, window shades with beautiful patterns, fabrics, and textures, vinyl or wood shutters with vanes that go up to 4 1/2" to give a bette